Saturday, January 7, 2012

Twelve in Twelve

     Hopefully more like twelve for twelve! I recently set a GOAL to complete twelve races in the year 2012. It's only January 7th, and I'm already one for one! Despite the races name, the Frostbite 5K, a friend of mine and I signed up for the race and prepared for what we thought would be one of the coldest races of our lives. However, the uncharacteristically warm weather proved the name somewhat inappropriate, thank goodness. It was 53 degrees when the race started with sun shiny skies and minimal wind, and even though the race started uphill, it was still a total success. We both met and surpassed our original goal of 30 minutes and finished the race in 28:49. Not too bad considering we hadn't run in over a month!
     With eleven more races to go this year, I've made sure to sign up for several races at an early date. I am already registered for the Anthem 5K, the Rodes City Run 10K, and the Papa Johns 10 Miler, as well as the Kentucky Derby Mini Marathon. And although finishing twelve races this year is a GOAL I have set for myself, I still find it necessary to set individual goals for each race as well. Next up is the Anthem 5K with a finishing goal of under 26 minutes. Meaning I have 56 days to shave nearly 3 minutes off of todays finishing time. What I think is an achievable goal with a little bit of work and dedication.
     On another note, I've recently started going to a yoga class on Saturday mornings. It's an interesting practice that I think I will really enjoy once I get the terminology down. If there is one thing I've learned from the two sessions I've been to, it's that you have to respect your body for what it can and can't do, all the while never losing faith in what you WILL be able to do if you just keep trying. I am defiantly not a flexible person and I have limitations that most of the other yoga goers don't struggle with. I think thats the beauty of it though. The fact that I have something to work towards has always been a GREAT motivator for me and being limited in my practice just means that I need to practice more. Not a bad reality to accept and apply to everything in your life!
     Lastly, I know it has been several months since I've posted anything on this blog and since we are talking about goals in 2012 I figure it would be appropriate to list some of the other changes I'd like to make this year. Besides keeping up with my blog posts, I'd also like to attempt a Gluten FREE diet, get more sleep, read more, and of course, my favorite, have more fun! So here's to NEW YEARS resolutions and to a fantastic 2012, CHEERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment