Monday, February 21, 2011

If You Don't Run, You Rust

I cannot believe that it has been two weeks since my last post. Two long grueling weeks, with less than acceptable hours of sleep and most definitely less than acceptable miles under my belt. Sleep and running just do not fit into a schedule that includes exams in Pathomedicine, Fixed Prosthodontics, and Pharmacology, as well as a nearly impossible full gold crown project, all packed into just seven short days. The good thing is, I more than survived the two longest weeks of dental school thus far, I conquered them. My efforts are positively reflected in the exam grades I have received and I'm confident that my crown will pass the test as well. The last two weeks may not have been sweaty, but they were, without a doubt, successful. 
In the midst of the madness last week, I took most of the day off on Saturday to attend a memorial service for one of my best friends grandmother, Virginia. Anne, "Wools," and I have been close since our cross country days in high school. She was my maid of honor in our wedding and means the world to me. She did everything she could for her grandmother and I always enjoyed visiting Virginia with her. The service was peaceful, sweet, and full of love and appreciation for her. It was a heart warming experience and I'm truly glad I was able to be a part of it. I am thankful for the opportunity to support Wools and for my husband, Cal, for driving me to Indy and back so that I could make the most of my time on the road. 

After seven days of maximum stress and minimal endurance to spare, our class decided to have a party to celebrate the end of the insanity which had consumed us. Thursday afternoon drug itself out as if we were third graders on the last day of school. As if the bell were about to ring and all seventy-nine of us would be free for the summer. Dr. Mattingly was lecturing on treatment planning, but all I could hear were the lyrics to Tom Petty's Big Weekend:
I need a big weekend.
Kick up the dust.
Yeah a big weekend.
If you don't run, you rust.

We ran alight. The class party was Friday night which started with beer pong and Jenga and ended up at Molly Malones, a cute little Irish Pub on Bardstown Road. Saturday, Cal and I literally kicked up the dust at the National Farm Machinery Shows tractor/truck pull where we were very excited to see our friends take first and third place. Congrats Van and Curt and everyone at Haisley Machine! Needless to say, it was a great way to shake off the residual stress from the weeks prior and overall one of the better weekends I've had since I moved here. A good sign that my attitude is in fact changing and that enjoying life as a dental student isn't impossible. I am looking forward to a light week at school and catching up on my mini-marathon training. Looking forward to running to keep from rusting!  

No comments:

Post a Comment